Remote Project Management: A List of Free Resources, Tips, and Tools
As the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide, many companies and employees have switched to remote work.
This move isn’t easy nor is to likely to be short-term.
Priorities and business goals will change. Organizations are facing a period of uncertainty, with difficult choices ahead.
Employees will need more flexibility as they juggle childcare, self-isolation, and more with tasks and deadlines.
At BrightWork, we’re also figuring out how to work together remotely. We’re learning, reading, and sharing resources about remote working, and we want to share these tools with you.
Below is a list of helpful articles – from BrightWork and elsewhere – covering a range of topics on remote working.
These include getting started quickly as a remote worker, communicating with your team, and managing projects remotely.
SharePoint is a powerful collaborative tool, especially for projects, so we’ve added some relevant links below.
We aim to update and republish this article on a weekly basis with new resources.
Making the Switch to Remote Working
- Emergency Remote Work Kit: Remote Team has published a short, instructive guide for employees and companies who need to switch to remote working quickly. Teams with extensive experience with remote work will enjoy this longer guide.
- How to work remotely. A 5-page Google Doc from Tomé Durate, Senior Engineering Manager, Web Summit. Useful for individual teams and companies alike.
- Against Productivity in a Pandemic. An insightful article from The New Republic on the meaning of productivity and what constitutes ‘normal’ during this time.
- Remote work wiki: An extensive resource on remote working from Notion. The wiki includes various guides, company responses to COVID19, Twitter discussions, and more.
- Working from Home – 7 Steps for a Better Work Day: Practical and easy-to-implement tips from the Happiful. (Added March 25)
Managing a Remote Project Team
- Coronavirus Could Force Teams to Work Remotely. Practical tips from Harvard Business Review.
- How to Manage Remote Project Teams during the COVID-19 Outbreak: TechRepublic offers three tips for PMOs to help move projects forward.
- How-To: Stay Sane As A Remote Project Manager: A personal and useful resource from The Digital Project Manager (DPM) to help you feel more productive, less stressed, and happier overall
- Manage Efficient Virtual Teams With These Tips & Tools: Another great resource from DPM with a focus on virtual teams.
- Morale, Mental Health, and Burnout in Remote Teams: This extensive – and practical – guide from Holloway deals with burnout, isolation, and more.
- How to Approach Being Active During the COVID-19 Crisis: The team at Strava, a fitness app, has put together useful tips on staying active during quarantines and directives for social distancing. As the situation is evolving quickly, check guidelines and restrictions in your local community regularly before heading out for exercise.
- Suddenly no one in the office to manage? 5 dos, 4 don’ts and 3 things to do right now: Helpful tips on managing communication, employee expectations, and more during this difficult time. (Added March 25)
- Academic Research Proves 8 Skills Crititcal to Work-from-Home Success: Habits include empathy, communication, and accountability. (Added March 25)
Managing a Remote Project with SharePoint
- How to Use SharePoint to Collaborate with a Remote Project Team
- How to Use SharePoint for Project Management
- How to Use SharePoint Workflows for Project Management
- 5 Ways to Improve Project Communication with SharePoint
- How to Use a SharePoint Document Library for Projects
In her free time, she enjoys a challenging session at the gym, tucking into a good book, and walking the beautiful Galway coastline with her dog.