Remote Project Management: A List of Free Resources, Tips, and Tools
As the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide, many companies and employees have switched to remote work.
This move isn’t easy nor is to likely to be short-term.
Priorities and business goals will change. Organizations are facing a period of uncertainty, with difficult choices ahead.
Employees will need more flexibility as they juggle childcare, self-isolation, and more with tasks and deadlines.
At BrightWork, we’re also figuring out how to work together remotely. We’re learning, reading, and sharing resources about remote working, and we want to share these tools with you.
Below is a list of helpful articles – from BrightWork and elsewhere – covering a range of topics on remote working.
These include getting started quickly as a remote worker, communicating with your team, and managing projects remotely.
SharePoint is a powerful collaborative tool, especially for projects, so we’ve added some relevant links below.
We aim to update and republish this article on a weekly basis with new resources.
Making the Switch to Remote Working
- Emergency Remote Work Kit: Remote Team has published a short, instructive guide for employees and companies who need to switch to remote working quickly. Teams with extensive experience with remote work will enjoy this longer guide.
- How to work remotely. A 5-page Google Doc from Tomé Durate, Senior Engineering Manager, Web Summit. Useful for individual teams and companies alike.
- Against Productivity in a Pandemic. An insightful article from The New Republic on the meaning of productivity and what constitutes ‘normal’ during this time.
- Remote work wiki: An extensive resource on remote working from Notion. The wiki includes various guides, company responses to COVID19, Twitter discussions, and more.
- Working from Home – 7 Steps for a Better Work Day: Practical and easy-to-implement tips from the Happiful. (Added March 25)
- COVID-19: It’s OK to Feel Overwhelmed and Be Unproductive: Do you feel pressure to “make the most” out of lockdown? Let it go with these tips from Pyschology Today. (Added April 1)
- That Discomfort You’re Feeling Is Grief: Tips from the Harvard Business Review on managing difficult emotions during this period. After all, “If we can name it, perhaps we can manage it.” (Added April 1)
- Succeeding as a Remote Company: Lessons from Shopify: An insightful interview with John Riordan, Director of Support, Ireland at Shopify on making remote work work. (added April 15)
- ”Sorry, I have a walk scheduled then”: For many people, working from home can mean less movement during the day, especially if walking was part of your commute or lunch routine. This article from Dropbox explains why walking is a great way to boost creativity and will get you moving again. (Added April 15)
- How Distributed Teams are Setting Boundaries between Home and Office: Another insightful piece from Dropbox on how to set boundaries and create balance when working from home. (Added April 30)
Managing a Remote Project Team
- Coronavirus Could Force Teams to Work Remotely. Practical tips from Harvard Business Review.
- How to Manage Remote Project Teams during the COVID-19 Outbreak: TechRepublic offers three tips for PMOs to help move projects forward.
- How-To: Stay Sane As A Remote Project Manager: A personal and useful resource from The Digital Project Manager (DPM) to help you feel more productive, less stressed, and happier overall
- Manage Efficient Virtual Teams With These Tips & Tools: Another great resource from DPM with a focus on virtual teams.
- Morale, Mental Health, and Burnout in Remote Teams: This extensive – and practical – guide from Holloway deals with burnout, isolation, and more.
- How to Approach Being Active During the COVID-19 Crisis: The team at Strava, a fitness app, has put together useful tips on staying active during quarantines and directives for social distancing. As the situation is evolving quickly, check guidelines and restrictions in your local community regularly before heading out for exercise.
- Suddenly no one in the office to manage? 5 dos, 4 don’ts and 3 things to do right now: Helpful tips on managing communication, employee expectations, and more during this difficult time. (Added March 25)
- Academic Research Proves 8 Skills Crititcal to Work-from-Home Success: Habits include empathy, communication, and accountability. (Added March 25)
- This Is How We Manage Projects on a Fully Remote Team: Practical insights from Doist, gleaned from managing cross-functional projects on a team of 60 people spread across 23 countries. (Added April 1)
- Remote Projects 101: The Remote Guide to Project Management: Drawing on interviews with remote companies such as Hotjar, Buffer, Clearbit, and Zapier, the team at Twist have published a practical framework for remote project management. (Added April 1)
- Project Managers – Stay Active in Isolation: Lindsay Scott from Arras People explains why and how project managers should continue to invest in their personal development in uncertain times. (Added April 1)
- 10 Best Apps for Team Communication: Zoom, Teams, or Slack? This list of 10 business chat apps from Avocor will help you to improve collaboration with your remote project team with the right tool. (Added June 8)
Virtual Team Building
- The best virtual team building activities, according to real remote workers: Atlassian share 12 road-tested virtual team building activities. (Added April 30)
- 15 Best Team Building Activities & Games for Remote Workers: Practical suggestions from Miro, including taking a virtual tour of each employee’s location, aka, a ‘professional version of MTV’s Cribs! (Added April 30)
- 10 (Not Lame) Virtual Team Building Activities: In addition to 10 activities, Weekdone also explain how to track the impact of these interactions. (Added April 30)
- How to Strengthen Remote Team Bonds: The team at Polly explain how to build connections and celebrated wins with colleagues across the globe. (Added April 30)
- 23 remote team building activities (to boost morale and trust): This comprehensive guide from Fingerprint for Success has something every team can enjoy. (Added May 13)
Managing a Remote Project with SharePoint
- How to Use SharePoint to Collaborate with a Remote Project Team
- How to Use SharePoint for Project Management
- How to Use SharePoint Workflows for Project Management
- 5 Ways to Improve Project Communication with SharePoint
- How to Use a SharePoint Document Library for Projects
Communication and Collaboration
- A Guide to Project Team Collaboration
- 4 Tips for Managing a Remote Project Team [Guest Post]
- How to Build Trust With Your Remote Project Team [Guest Post]
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Project Team’s Morale When Things Get Tough [Guest Post]
- How to use Microsoft Teams for Remote Project Management
In her free time, she enjoys a challenging session at the gym, tucking into a good book, and walking the beautiful Galway coastline with her dog.