Recently a customer wanted to link to a particular Dashboard using BrightWork Reporter instead of the default of the Project Home Page.
In their case, they wanted to point to the Project Status Dashboard at a Project Office level from a roll-up view of the Current Status Report.
This blog outlines the steps required to create a SharePoint report hyperlink to a particular dashboard within your site collection. It’s recommended that you have some experience with using BrightWork Reporter to carry out these steps.
By default, BrightWork Reporter can link to 3 items in a Project Site, namely:
- The Project Site itself
- The List that contains the data
- The List Item itself (Task, Issue, Risk, etc.)
To link to a different Dashboard in a Project Site, we will need to create a SharePoint Designer Workflow. The workflow is then triggered on the Project Status Reports list.
Create SharePoint Report Hyperlink
- Navigate to the Project Status Reports list in your Template
- Create a Single Line of Text column called PageLink.
- Set the Default Value to the relative Page you want to link to in the BrightWork Pages Library, e.g. /BrightWork Pages/Project – Status.aspx
- This will be automatically populated every time a new Status Report is logged
- Create a Hyperlink Column called ReportLink.
- This will be the linkable Column from BrightWork Reporter
- Create a Workflow using SharePoint Designer
- Create a WorkFlow Variable to join the Current Site URL and the PageLink
- Ensure you add a “ , text” after the String Builder to update the Description of the Hyperlink
- Add a second action to the Workflow. Update ReportLink column in the list with the Variable defined in the previous step.
- Next, test your Workflow to ensure it is creating the ReportLink correctly in the list itself
- Finally, update the BrightWork Reporter Definition file (Current Project Status Report) to query the new ReportLink column. Otherwise, the column will not appear in the reports.
As a result, you should now have a SharePoint report hyperlink that brings you to the information you want to see in a lot fewer clicks. Please comment below on how you used this on your reports. We love to hear about your innovations on BrightWork.