SharePoint vs. Free Project Management Template vs. BrightWork
A question we often get asked is what’s the difference between native SharePoint, the Free Project Management Template, and the full BrightWork solution for SharePoint On-Premises? Which one is the right fit for me?
To make things a bit easier, we’ve prepared a simple table to compare SharePoint, our Free Project Management Template, and BrightWork to help decide which direction you should take with managing projects on SharePoint.
- Native SharePoint can be used for project management; however, you will need to spend significant time configuring the site.
- The Free Project Management Template from BrightWork is a pre-configured, no-code template. The template is used to manage individual project sites and does not support cross-project reporting.
- The full BrightWork PPM Solution for SharePoint On-Premises includes configurable templates, project request management, portfolio dashboards, Power BI reports, and more.
|SharePoint configuration options||✔||✔||✔|
|Microsoft Office Integration||✔||✔||✔|
|SharePoint Custom Style Sheets||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to all Standard BrightWork Templates||❌||❌||✔|
|Basic Gantt Lists||✔||✔||✔|
|Interactive Gantt Charts||❌||❌||✔|
|My Work Reports||❌||✔||✔|
|Automated Project Metrics||❌||❌||✔|
|Project Request Management||❌||❌||✔|
|Manual Status Reports||❌||✔||✔|
|Automated Status Reports||❌||❌||✔|
|Basic Microsoft Project to SharePoint Syncing||✔||✔||✔|
|Enhanced Microsoft Project to SharePoint Syncing||❌||❌||✔|
|Enhanced SharePoint Lists||❌||❌||✔|
|Site Collection Hierarchy Support||❌||❌||✔|
|Better SharePoint Navigation||❌||❌||✔|
|Template Management Area||❌||❌||✔|
|Template Design Sync||❌||❌||✔|
|Nintex forms support||❌||❌||✔|
|Nintex workflow support||❌||❌||✔|
|Copying and Synching Workflows||❌||❌||✔|
|Status Report Cache||❌||❌||✔|
Vanilla SharePoint is great if you want to introduce the idea of team collaboration to your organization, but may not be too sure on how people will react to a new process.
You’ll need to configure your SharePoint site with the right lists and web parts for your project. This takes time, requiring both SharePoint and project management experience.
Before you start to configure SharePoint for project management, you should really take a look at our Free Template!
SharePoint Project Management Template
The free project management template from BrightWork is a fantastic starting point for managing a single project in SharePoint.
The pre-configured project site makes it easy to increase collaboration without the need to create a SharePoint template.
BrightWork Project and Portfolio Management
If you want to report across portfolios and programs, understand how individual projects are performing, or implement project request management, you should consider the BrightWork solution for SharePoint On-Premises (server editions of SharePoint 2019, 2016, 2013).
BrightWork includes a range of best-practice templates and advanced cross-project reporting to help organizations get control over projects in one solution.
Key BrightWork capabilities include:
- Pre-configured, flexible templates for managing projects and portfolios
- Real-time portfolio dashboards and reporting
- Project Request Management
- SharePoint Kanban Boards
- Enhanced Gantt Web Part
- Project metric tiles and scorecards
- Resource Management
- Resource Allocation
- Report automation
- Template Design Sync.
BrightWork guarantees greater simplicity for project managers, better visibility for senior executives, and the ability to deliver better and more consistent organizational project management.
As a BrightWork customer, you’ll also have the support of your dedicated Customer Success Partner (CSP).
Using our 3D Deployment Process – Design, Deliver, Deploy – your CSP will get you up and running quickly with the right templates for your current requirements. When you’re ready, evolve your project management processes with BrightWork Services.
If you are still a little unsure as to which best suits your requirements, I would advise you to think about your requirements and ask the following questions:
- Do you want visibility into your portfolios and programs?
- Are you looking for real-time dashboards with visuals to let you know how your projects and portfolios are performing?
- Do you want oversight and control over the new project pipeline?
- Do you want increased control over your projects?
- Would you like some automation to ease the pressure of creating and sending reports?
- Would you like to increase collaboration with your project teams?
- Do you want to manage all project and non-project work in a single application?
If you answered “Yes” to any of the above, then BrightWork is the perfect solution for you. Take our 30-day free trial to try the full BrightWork PPM solution on your next project.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2015 and has been updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Outside of work, Micheál likes to find new stories through podcasts, movies, sport and travel.