Here at BrightWork, we know how difficult the life of a project manager is! Our latest free resource, 15 Tips for Successful Project Management, brings together our most popular tips in a handy guide to make project management a little easier.
Here are five essential tips to help you get started.
1. Know the Basics
There are 4 major areas that a project manager should be familiar with:
- Asking the right questions before the project begins
- Establishing the success criteria
- Producing project artefacts
- Scheduling health checks.
2. Set SMART Goals
Goal setting is key to project management and will help you to stay on track at all times.
Take the SMART approach and make sure your goals are:
3. Manage Project Scope Creep
Project scope creep results from small changes which, when combined, change the original requirements. Watch our video blog and learn how to avoid scope creep by managing the triple constraint of time, cost and scope.
4. Use a Time Management Process
Time is one of the most valuable resources in project management and in life! To be a successful project manager or project team member, you must be able to manage your time well. Follow our 5-step process to get more from your day:
- Set personal and professional goals
- Create a generic weekly schedule
- Use your generic weekly schedule to plan each week as it arrives
- Work the week
- Review your progress periodically, maybe once or twice a year.
Our free training module, Manage Your Time, Energy and Email, is packed with more practical ideas and advice for effective time management.
5. Have an Implementation Strategy
All project management key activities and processes are interrelated and must be managed together for effective project integration, and as a result; a successful project outcome. There are a number of key activities to consider here, including the scope of the project, its schedule, budget, quality and available resources.
There you have it. Five tips every project manager should be following for project success. Do you have any others to add? Let us know in the comments.